Growing a blog isn’t easy, yet many dream of being of a successful blogger. What key habits set successful bloggers apart from the thousands of blogs that are eventually abandoned and fail?
Like many things in life, it comes down to habit. Successful bloggers have proven and tested routines and approaches which they perform faithfully, pushing their blogs to greater and greater success.
Here are seven key habits to becoming a well known blogger:
1) They write in an easy to read and flowing style. Where new bloggers often agonize every word, and need multiple revisions before their piece is “perfect”, successful bloggers have found a way to write in a flowing and conversational style. This is not to say they don’t do research and use facts- they do- just that they find a way to incorporate those facts into an engaging and interesting story. The very best bloggers can make you feel like you’re having a direct and personal conversation with them, just as you would a close friend.
2) They write. A lot. As the saying goes: “If you want to be a writer, you must write.” And, therefore, if you want to be a blogger, you must blog. Writing, like many other skills, improves with practice. The more you blog, the better you’ll blog.
3) They share personal examples and stories. They let you know what they’re thinking about, what they’re trying, what worked, and what did not. They are constantly learning about blogging, and also, actually, about Life- and they are open in sharing their experiences. This process of being human helps them build large and committed followings.
4) They engage through pictures and data. While crafting the content as a story, successful bloggers know that their blog is more interesting when it has pictures and data. They use both liberally. They are not afraid to expand on data gathered by others, or to collect their own. They often use images in a way that captures attention and certainly furthers the story. They pay attention to the visual appeal of their post, alongside the written appeal.
5) They are active members of the community. Successful bloggers are quick to build connections and take part in their online communities. They like, share, comment, and curate when they find work that is worthy of notice. They are glad to share additional resources and information with their communities, and are happy to give help and receive help.
6) They have opinions and share them. The best blogs are written from a point of view- a perspective. They are not just aggregators of information, but, instead, offer tailored and deliberate points of view. Successful bloggers share what they stand for, and are not afraid to give their opinions. This helps them stand out in the sea of other bloggers who might be writing on the same thing. Successful bloggers are willing to be human and vulnerable.
7) They commit to their blogs. One study I read suggests that more than 181 million blogs come online each year, and the bulk of them will be abandoned within six months.
Successful bloggers commit to their blogs as a long term endeavor. They work steadily and consistently to build their readership and their alliances. They know that they need to be committed to their blogs in order to have worthwhile results.
These are the seven key habits of successful bloggers. Which ones will you polish up to make your blog more successful?
This was a guest post from Dr. Rachna Jain.
Dr. Rachna Jain is the author of “Internet Marketing for the Rest of Us: Your In-Depth Guide to Profitable Popularity”. She offers marketing and business insights in her email newsletter. Get your copy at http://ProfitablePopularity.com/newsletter